Monday 14 November 2011

Gluten Free Monday

When we were in Canada we had the most delicious Indian lunch at a friend's place - a chickpea and potato curry and a cheese, tomato and pea dish. Total deliciousness :) Of course I completely forgot to ask for the recipe!

I kept thinking about this lunch and finally last week decided to have a look online to see if I could find a similar recipe. The only problem was that we hadn't been shopping for 2 weeks and I had to make dinner only with what I had in the cupboard. Lucky for me we had chickpeas and potatoes. Perfect!

It took me forever to find a recipe, as most of the chickpea and potato curries had some form of tomatoes in them. Alas, I did not have any tomatoes. I finally found a recipe, but then realised that I didn't have quite a few of the ingredients. I figured what the hell, and modified the recipe to fit with what I had.

So here it is: Gluten Free Chickpea and Potato Curry

1 can chickpeas
2 potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic
2tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp coriander
1/2 - 1tsp chili powder (or to taste)
1tsp garlic salt
1/4 cup water

1. Dice potato, onion and garlic
2. Mix spices together in a small bowl
3. Heat some oil in a fry pan. When hot, add the spices and stir for about 15 seconds
4. Add potato, onion, chickpeas, and garlic and stir to mix. Cook for about 5 minutes
5. Add about half of the water and simmer for 20-30minutes stirring every so often so it doesn't stick to the pan. Add water as required.

Serve with rice (I use a mix of brown and white), papadums, natural yoghurt and mango chutney (I didn't have any)

NB: Spices, yoghurt and papadums are usually gluten free, but don't forget to double check the ingredients list to make sure. Sometimes they pull a sneaky on you and change ingredients or add that gluten may be present due to production lines.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I am your first follower. Are you yourself following many blogs, it's a good way to gain followers is to leave comments and follow all the blogs you like the look of. It's quite time consuming but a great way to meet people and you see such marvellous things. It's like travelling the world in your armchair :-)
    I am your first UK follower.
    Dianne
    YONKS

    ReplyDelete