Thursday 3 November 2011

Canada Adventure Part 1 - Road Trip

We recently spent 5 very nice, very short weeks travelling through Canada. It was my second trip to Canada, though my first time outside of Vancouver and my first trip there with my husband, Chris.

We flew into Vancouver via LAX - what a nightmare airport that is, jam packed with people and just crazy busy. It wasn't helped by the fact that we had to pick up our suitcases and go check in again as it was our first international stop!

We spent a couple of days in Vancouver catching up with friends we hadn't seen in forever and then spent the next week driving to Edmonton to stay with family. We drove through some of the most amazing scenery I've ever seen - gushing rivers with the lightest green water, mountains covered in snow and the most vibrant colours everywhere we looked.



I saw my first bear on our first day of driving. It was actually a cub and so cute! We spotted him as we were leaving a rest stop, so we were probably only about 50m from lots of people. Mum was nowhere to be seen, so my husband insisted that she was probably hiding out and using the cub as bait! The photos I got aren't great as I was trying to take it out of the car window which was up just in case mum came along.



We spent 3 days in the Okanagan Valley eating delicious summer fruits, visiting wineries and doing some shopping. I may have forgotten to mention that I really do love shopping and we have nothing in Australia of the scale to be found in North America. I got a little excited....even just about visiting Walmart!

We visited Lake Louise and were there when part of the glacier fell - I had read about it so when I heard the BOOM I guessed what it was, but Chris had no idea! It was kind of funny watching his reaction :)


From there we drove into Banff which is a pretty town, but every second person was Australian. I knew there were a lot of us over there, but I didn't realise just how many!

We had beautiful weather all through our drive until the last day when we drove from Calgary to Edmonton. It absolutely poured down! Coming from a place that had been in drought for around 10 years it was kind of scary - we don't often drive in the rain. But we made it safely to Edmonton without too much trouble and stayed with family for a few days before continuing on our adventure.....but that's a story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment