Thursday 23 February 2012

Spicy Pork with Eggplant

When I lived in Japan I loved a dish called Mabo Nasu. It was made with some Chinese sauces that we can no longer have as I can't find a gluten free version, but I found a recipe on the Food Network that is kind of similar and definitely delicious. You can find the original recipe here and below is my version of it.

Ingredients
500g pork mince (I've also used turkey and it is just as good)
1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 eggplant, cut into 1cm cubes
1 onion, diced
1 capsicum, thinly sliced
a handful of green beans, cut in small pieces
1/4 small wombok (optional)
rice to serve
(you can pick and choose your vegetables - as always, I just use whatever I have in the fridge)

For the sauce
2tbs chili garlic sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee - it's also great for fried rice)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I usually cut this down to about 2tbs as it can be very salty otherwise)
2tbs rice vinegar (be careful with this - the Japanese version (my absolute favourite of course) has wheat in it)
1tsp basil (I use dried basil rather than fresh - it's just easier for me)
2/3 cup chicken stock
4 1/2tbs hoisin sauce (Chang's is gf)
1tsp sesame oil (I have left this out the last few times cooking this dish as I ran out and haven't bought more)
1tsp cornflour dissolved in a small amount of water

1. Place the mince in a bowl and add the 1 1/2tbs soy sauce. Mix and set aside
2. Add all of the sauce ingredients, except the cornflour, together in a bowl, mix and set aside


3. Chop vegetables. Place all except wombok in a wok/pan and cook over medium heat. I add the mince at the same time, but if you don't like doing this, cook your vegetables until the onion starts to soften, then take out. Add the mince and cook until all brown.


4. With the meat and vegetables (and the wombok) back in the wok, add the sauce. Stir to mix well. When it is simmering, add the cornflour dissolved in water. Stir until sauce begins to thicken.


5. Let simmer for 5 minutes, then serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment