So, we finally did it, we finally made pierogies. What an effort! My kitchen really is not big enough for this kind of cooking.
I used the dough recipe from herself (gluten free) with a little less flour and salt and then just put together some things for the filling based on what my husband has told me.
4 cups plain flour
1/2 tbs salt
1 1/2 cups cold water
1tbs vegetable oil
1. Whisk the oil, egg and water together in a large bowl.
2. Add 3 cups flour and mix together.
3. Add the final cup of flour while kneading.
4. Continue kneading until it all comes together.
5. Put aside for 20 minutes.
1 tub creamed cottage cheese
4 rashers bacon, finely diced
1. Boil the potatoes and mash when done
2. Add the tub of cottage cheese and mix well
3. Cook the bacon and add to the mix
Once all of the above is done, roll out the dough until it is about 2mm thick. Remember to dust the bench and rolling pin with flour. Cut out rounds (we used a large plastic cup to do this), add a spoonful of filling and close. Place the pierogies on a tray and cover with damp paper towel so they don't dry out.
When finished, boil them - they are done when they come to the top of the water. To fry them, after boiling, place in a pan with some oil and cook over a medium heat.